Jump To Navigation

Contact our
Firm Today

Open Our Quick Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Posts tagged "custodial parent"

Child support nonpayment and Social Security

In some cases, a Texas custodial parent will be owed child support from a non-custodial parent who either simply fails to pay or falls significantly behind. If the paying parent is not working, it may be a good idea to determine whether he or she is receiving Social Security benefits. As it turns out, there are types of Social Security benefits that can be garnished to collect delinquencies.

How child support is calculated in Texas

When a Texas couple divorces, it is likely that one parent will be responsible for making child support payments to the other parent. Child support is a legal financial responsibility that the courts use as a way to help a single parent provide financial balance for their children. Additionally, child support holds the noncustodial parent legally and financially responsible for their child.

Requesting child support and visitation changes in Texas

In Texas, the custody rulings issued by a court may be revisited and adjusted at a later time. The requests must be submitted in the proper manner, and all changes must go through the courts in order to be enforceable. There are many reasons for people to change their custody and child support arrangements, including a shift in income, schedule changes or one parent's desire to relocate.

How child support payments are calculated in Texas

Under Texas law, non-custodial parents may be required to pay child support until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates high school. In some cases, though, payments of child support may be scheduled indefinitely if the child is physically or mentally disabled and requires continuing care and supervision. In order to calculate how much a non-custodial parent may pay, a court may look at several factors.