Jump To Navigation

Contact our
Firm Today

Open Our Quick Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Requesting child support and visitation changes in Texas

In Texas, the custody rulings issued by a court may be revisited and adjusted at a later time. The requests must be submitted in the proper manner, and all changes must go through the courts in order to be enforceable. There are many reasons for people to change their custody and child support arrangements, including a shift in income, schedule changes or one parent's desire to relocate.

When both parties agree with the proposed changes, the legal process is drastically simplified. Once a judge signs the order, the new plans for child support will go into effect. If there is a disagreement about the proposed changes, then the case is contested and will be more complicated. In these cases, the person requesting the changes must show that they are in the child's best interests and that circumstances have changed on a substantial or material level. In the case of children who are 12 years old or older, the court will take into account what their desires are when considering changes in primary custody.

There may be situations when the existing agreement is less than a year old. In this type of situation, one of three conditions must apply. Either the parent requesting a change must show that the present environment is physically or emotionally harmful to the child; both parties must agree to the changes; or the custodial parent must have allowed another party to have custody of the child for a period of at least six months.

Whether an agreement has been in place for a few months or several years, it is possible to have adjustments made. People are encouraged to work with an attorney to ensure that the requests are properly filed. An attorney can review the specifics of a case and provide their client with important guidance.

Source: TexasLawHelp.org, "How do I change custody and child support orders? ", January 04, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information